I hope everyone had a great long weekend. I am a little late with this posting, however I thought I would need to include the weekends activities in here. Starting off with Barn Doors. As you know my boyfriend and I are designing our new custom built home. I wanted every feature to be hand selected and included to capture my vision, of course on budget and cost effective. I immediately knew that I wanted to include a barn door in my home. With our home not being too large, it couldn’t be used for a mud room or a pantry. So the next best spot I thought of would be for or master bedroom, en-suite. This past Friday we went out to a farm in Scottland, Ont. Here this farmer uses reclaimed barn wood and creates beautiful pieces such as barn doors, tables, benches even mirrors! I couldn’t believe how well made everything was still with that rustic edge intact. Here were some of my favorite pieces.
Check out his site for more.. http://reclaimedbarnboard.jimdo.com
I usually don’t talk about food or recipes but thought I was due to start! This weekend I made some coconut shrimp tacos from scratch, they were sooo delicious!! Have you ever seen those Pinterest/Reality photos and usually the ‘reality photos’ are huge fails? Well here’s the pinterest photo and then my photo. What do you think? Well mine does look a little plain but pretty close! See below for the recipe, they were so easy to make and a nice alternative to regular tacos.
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and de-veined and tails removed
- 4 eggs + 4 tablespoons water
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups coconut flakes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- juice of one lime
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped cilantro
- 8 soft taco-sized tortillas
- diced mango
- cole slaw
- red peppers
- Preheat oven to 400 and spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Add eggs and water to a small bowl and whisk til smooth. Stir together flour, garlic powder, and chili powder to a second bowl. Place shredded coconut flakes in a third bowl.
- Toss shrimp in flour mixture. Next, dip shrimp in egg mixture. Lastly, toss shrimp in shredded coconut flakes.
- Place coated shrimps on prepared baking sheet and spray heavily with cooking spray. Bake about 15 minutes until shrimp are cooked and coconut flakes are golden brown.
- While shrimps are baking prepare dressing. Whisk all sauce ingredients together And chill until tacos are ready.
- To assemble tacos, fill tortillas with slaw, shrimp, mango, red peppers, pineapple and drizzle with cilantro dressing.
Being in house mode we also found a great find from @homesensecanada. This unique glass top coffee table, with brass structured legs and frame. It is exactly what I was looking for and will fit perfectly in our living room.
Dining Tables!! Trying to find the perfect pieces to bring your design vision to life has been my favorite part of buying a home. We are currently on the hunt for dining tables. Two so far have caught our attention, the grey wash table from Urban Barn and the more natural colored wood from Structube. I paired them both with our hardwood floors. What do you think?
Why not end on a social note. I ended this long weekend with relaxation, sunshine, pool, BBQ and fabulous friends.
I hope you enjoyed this weeks Fav’s, have a great week everybody.
elle cee design